2023 Testing Innovation Fellowship Call for Applicants
We are pleased to announce the call for the second round of Testing Innovation Fellowship awards. The program aims to transition geosynthetics-related research into ASTM International (ASTM) standards and increase student engagement in our professional organizations. The fellowship program is jointly supported by the Geosynthetic Institute (GSI), the North America chapter of the International Geosynthetic Society (IGS-NA), and ASTM International Committee D35 on Geosynthetics. The program aligns with the combined missions of GSI, IGS-NA, and ASTM to develop and transfer knowledge, geosynthetic technologies, and testing standards to positively impact education, public health and safety, consumer confidence, and overall quality of life.
Learn more about the 2022 fellowship awards
- Fellows will be awarded at least $500 per year, over a maximum three-year period. Up to five fellows may be supported concurrently in any given year.
- Within the award period, each fellow must:
- Send in a brief annual report (not later than Nov. 30th) of the project status. After approval through the review committee, the $500 grant will be awarded during the 1st quarter of the next year.
- Prepare a draft of either a new ASTM standard or a substantially revised version of an existing standard, with oversight from their research advisor or relevant supervisor (by December 15th of the final fellowship year)
- Present the new/revised standard to the appropriate ASTM committee or the review committee supervisor(s) (latest during the first ASTM meeting after the fellowship program – typically in January or February).
The fellow will be paired with a D35 mentor to provide input for drafting a standard.
To apply for the fellowship, the applicant must be:
(1) A current student pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree at a college/university
(2) A current member of both ASTM International Committee D35 and IGS-NA. NOTE: Student memberships are free for each organization!
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants may not submit multiple applications under this announcement. The application requirements include:
- A brief (2-page maximum) description of the test method being utilized in the research and how the student envisions the method would support development of a new ASTM International standard or significantly revise an existing standard or standards.
- The test method development must align with the mission and goals of the supporting organizations and be directly or indirectly related to the use of geosynthetics in relevant practice
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor, direct supervisor, or department head
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS as a single PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN Dr. Kristin Sample-Lord. Please use an email subject line of “Fellowship Application for [insert last name]“.
The current timeline for Round 2 of applications:
- Application due date: 16 December 2022
- Announcement of awardees: 25 January 2023
- Fellowship starting date: February 2023 (disbursement of award)
Note: If a grant recipient changes their fellowship eligibility status or decides to drop out of the fellowship program, the Testing Innovation Fellowship organizers must be informed immediately in writing. A payback of the fellowship award is only necessary if the termination occurs before June 1 in the year in which a fellowship has been granted.
Gary Torosian, ASTM International Committee D35 Chair
Ben Leshchinsky, IGS-NA President-Elect
George Koerner, GSI Director